Search for a DVD Ripper
DVD Rip-O-Matic is the first of the Qt based apps in my round-up. It aims to be a simple wizard thats easy to use. It some areas it succeeds very well, but in others it falls flat. I used version 0.94 which was the latest downloadable from the website. Binary deb and rpm packages are not available so DVD Rip-O-Matic must be installed from the command line.
Fortunately, DVD Rip-O-Matic offers multiple ways to get started. Start by decompressing the tar.bz2 archive. You can then either install the program by running Installer.kmdr or you can run it immediately by running DVDRipOMatic.kmdr. I did the later by right clicking on the file and opening it with Kommander Executor.
Finishing as one of the slower apps we'll review today, DVD Rip-O-Matic took more than 4.5 hrs to complete.
Step-by-step (with default file size and options):
- Click Next on the intro page and then Scan DVD.
- Pick the Title and Soundtrack you want to encode and select Next.
- Select Next if you through the Cropping, Storage, Quality, Splitting Points, and Movie Properties pages.
- Press Start to execute.
- A console will popup and do some calculations. It will then notify you of the estimated time to completion. Hit OK to continue and wait for it to finish.
When you first start to run through DVD Rip-O-Matic you expect a simple process, but it quickly spins out of control. The one configuration per screen idea is fine if you are going to keep it simple, but it starts to get frustrating when more advanced features are implemented that way. There are 10 next clicks that have to be made, regardless of whether you want to actually change any setting or not. Clearly a case of simplicity taking away from useability.
I also ran into frustrations when changing the file sizes. Resolution is automatically adjusted based on the file size and audio quality suggested instead of simply changing the bit rate. That's fine if the selection is understandable, but you don't find out what the resolution will be until you hit Next. 640x480 was the max I could get, and whenever the settings stayed with that resolution the program would tell me my bit rate was too high.
My final nitpicks are with the encoding process itself. I mentioned the console that appears during the step-by-step instructions. After hitting OK for actually execute the rip and transcode, a console reappears for the remainder of the time. It is difficult to gather any useful information from it, particularly how much progress has been made. For a polished looking wizard dropping back to a console when doing the real work is a strange departure from the rest of the interface.
For my taste, DVD Rip-O-Matic gets a 3 rating and falls behind AcidRip for apps that I would use. Despite the nice wizard interface, there are too many clicks to get where I want to go.